The very first beacon of the Kołobrzeg lighthouse was lit in the year 1666, however, the light, located on the top of the former building of the port authority, would only shine when a ship was approaching the port. Only 200 years ago, the constant light became a „regular resident“ there. At first, the light with its Frensel lense was operated on canola oil. The current lighthouse was built soon after the end World War II. This lighthouse found its site in the center of Kołobrzeg, on the foundation of a former fortress, making possible the edification of a tall tower. The wall was constructed of dark-red, salvaged broken face bricks, and the sandy beach supplied the filler for the mortar. The Kołobrzeg lighthouse has been open for visitors since 2001. While scaling the lighthouse, the metal staircase sees to a bit of diversion. A cannon, a reminder of the history of the lighthouse, as well as a memorial plaque in honor of sailors who lost their lives at sea, may come as a bit of a surprise.