The red tower in front of a brownish-red house is located about 112 meters (122.5 yards) from the actual coast. The coastline here forms a flat slope, and the beach is sandy. Construction of the lighthouse began in 1876 and took two years. The lighthouse is round in layout, the wall thickness at the base is 2.3 meters (about 7.5 feet). A spiral staircase, made of granit slabs, leads to the top of the lighthouse, which is made of dark red face bricks. Apart from the optical mechanism, the lighthouse suffered only minor damage during World War II.After the war, it became operational again in 1948. The source of the beacon is a 1,500-Watt light bulb with the rather unusual operating voltage of 130 Volts; there is a reserve lightbulb with an automatic toggle switch. In the 1930’s, and later in the 1950’s, cracks began to form all over the construction, and fillings and concrete injections were used to reinforce the structure. The lighthouse is accessible for tourists. At its base, there is the house of the lighthouse keeper, some small shops offering food and souvenirs, and a beautifully cultivated terrain.