This lighthouse is situated at the far end of the Hel peninsula, and it is the most important one all along the Polish coast. The first navigational beacon appeared here in the 17th century and was situated at the top of the steeple of an old church. Around the year 1638, the first „real“ lighthouse, in the shape of a crane, was built. There was a kettle with burning coal at the tip of a wooden beam, but this interesting construction was destroyed during a severe storm in 1702, to be rebuilt in 1763. The construction of the brick-built lighthouse began in 1806, but wasn’t finished until 20 years later. A slim tower made from burnt bricks was erected and painted white. Unfortunately, this lighthouse was blown up at the very beginning of World War II in 1939. The current lighthouse was built by local Kashubians in 1942, forming an octagonal tower, crowned by a lantern and a gallery which is open to visitors.